UX Strategist Winnow Insights. Boulder, CO. Mar 2016 – Present
- Mentor and coach UX researchers, designers, developers, and product managers on research design, data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Career consultation for researchers and data scientists.
- Lead two Meetups – Analyze Boulder and the Denver Google Analytics Group.
- Teach Google Analytics through Boulder Digital Arts, CU Boulder, and Tech4Good.
- Coordinated with the State of Colorado and LadyCoders through Go Code Colorado by providing leadership and mentoring.
- Collaborated with Microsoft and Honeywell on http://www.UITraps.com Design Traps card deck.
UX Researcher Cabelas.com. Broomfield, CO. Apr 2017 – Sept 2017
- Ensure the highest levels of customer satisfaction by optimizing the usability of Cabela’s digital ecosystem including Cabelas.com, as well as our mobile & social efforts, through a wide range of tasks including user research, analytics, and user-centered design methodologies to drive design decisions that have a direct impact on the user experience.
- Information Architecture / Taxonomy Re-Design: re-design from the top to bottom, card-sorting, reverse card-sorting, over 250,000 SKUs
- A/B split testing, persona development, heuristic and PURE reviews, customer journey mapping.
- Develop user tests, work with UX designers consistently.
- Participate in weekly design reviews, team watches usability testing.
- Manage a dynamic workload to balance priorities with deadlines to effectively meet project needs.
- Develop recommendations for use by business stakeholders and technical teams alike to influence decisions that create the best user experience, in conjunction with the rest of design team.
Senior UX Researcher ThinkTank. Denver, CO. Jan 2017 – Apr 2017
- Informed product and design decisions with insights into customers’ needs, behaviors, and pain points. This strategic role identified research needs and worked collaboratively across departments to create action plans and road maps for web and mobile products.
- Used Design Thinking frameworks to lead qualitative and quantitative research and guide product development to drive impact on the business and the end-to-end user experience.
- Focused on the full product lifecycle by conducting early stage generative research, iterative UI testing during design stages, and post-launch evaluative measurement.
Product Manager (UX Research) Investability. Westminster, CO. July 2016 – Jan 2017
- Re-envisioned user engagement, nationwide real estate property search, and advertisement sales and fulfillment processes by partnering with the Product Lead and building/managing backlogs for two Agile development teams.
- Facilitated solution and problem discovery sessions with internal stakeholders, subject matter experts, and customers to gain insight on product direction and develop the product roadmap.
- Technical Product Manager: wrote stories, led grooming sessions, managed business requirements and acceptance criteria, and served as the point of reference for Engineering, Data, and QA Teams as items moved through the development funnel.
- Implemented a user measurement toolkit that included Google Analytics, Optimizely, Amazon’s Mechanical Turk, TypeForm, Join.me, UserTesting.com and a qualitative data repository.
- Worked with Marketing leadership to optimize Google AdWords spend and strategically build out education experiences and collateral.
- Gathered customer feedback, shared findings with cross-functional teams through demos and presentations, and prioritized product development through the “build, measure, learn” loop.
User Experience Research Analyst Door To Door Organics. Louisville, CO. Aug 2015 – May 2016
- Worked closely with Product, Software Engineering, and Business Stakeholders to provide research and testing for website projects from inception through launch, including major experience upgrades and domain name changes.
- Created the suite of usability measurement tools and procedures that reduced landing page load time by over 50% (4.8 seconds), improved customer onboarding, exposed customer misunderstandings, assisted in SEO performance and measurement, and increased acquisition 88% by influencing click ads redirects.
- Conceived data governance and communication structure between departments and external vendors for Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager that led to increased accuracy, trust, and understanding of requirements, metrics, and KPIs.
- Built and led our Customer Experience (CX) Data Insights Group to streamline cross-functional collaboration and build customer personas.
- Implemented Google Analytics API and used the R statistical package to dive deeper into UX analysis, including site performance, internal search insights, and customer pathways.
- Conducted market research and pricing analysis that increased weekly average order sale (AOS) by $1.03 ($832,000/year).
User Researcher/Product Owner National Snow and Ice Data Center. Boulder, CO. Dec 2012–Aug 2015
- Designed and led multiple UX research studies (pre- and post-product launch) and translated findings into developer stories.
- As Product Owner, I maintained a prioritized Agile backlog aligned with the product vision. Under my watch, we reached over 25,000 datasets available in our search tool by pulling in 40% more JSON, ISO-19115, OAI-PMH and other microservices and APIs.
- Evangelized the benefits and challenges of UX, Data Management, and Open Data at domestic and international environmental science conferences and workshops.
- Led the governance and standardization of metadata and environmental dataset readme files.
- Created two standard operating procedures (SOP) – community support data collection used by internal agents and dataset ingest processes used by external scientists.
Data Community Liaison (User Advocate) National Center for Atmospheric Research. Boulder, CO. Feb 2011 – Jan 2013
- Increased user engagement by redesigning the user journey and communication workflows.
- Supported funding efforts by developing user personas, speaking at science conferences and workshops, and maintaining a library of peer-reviewed publications based on our datasets.
- Created educational resources suitable to each user persona.
- Introduced the organization to the latest SEO technology, Schema.org, as a method for increasing discoverability for all of our datasets. This project was given the OSPA Award by the American Geophysical Union.
- Facilitated two annual workshops each including 22 speakers, 60 attendees, small group guided discussions, and a poster session.
- Maintained and updated the NARCCAP website, news feeds, user directory, and citation repository using Perl, emacs, and basic unix commands.
- Conducted pain-point analysis in diverse communities to understand data discovery challenges.
Owner/Founder Orchid Photography, Santa Monica, CA. Jun 2000 – Sept 2010
- Provided leadership and vision on B2C and B2B product lines.
- Designed the company brand, website, promotional materials, and product workflows.
- Developed product lines and services, hired and managed contract employees, maintained vendor relationships and a community presence.
- Authored website content to maximize SEO, pay-per-click copy, and direct mail pieces.
- Conducted market research, pricing research, ROI analysis, and competitive analysis.
- Managed up to 8 contract employees.
- Managed all sales using consultative strategy techniques.
- Go Code Colorado Leadership Team and Mentor, 2013 – Present
- Analyze Boulder Leadership Team, 2014 – Present
- Journal of Usability Studies (UXPA) Editorial Reviewer, 2015 – Present
- Denver Google Analytics Meetup Co-Founder, 2016 – Present
- Teacher at Boulder Digital Arts, 2017 – Present
- MASTERS in Social Science, University of Colorado, Denver. Aug 2010 – Dec 2012
- BACHELORS in Economics, California State University, Northridge. Jan 1996 – Dec 2001
- Certified SCRUM Product Owner, International Scrum Institute. Lic.#62135835986118
- Accredited Product Manager, IO4PM™. Lic.#38794679021462
- Data Science Specialization, Coursera.com. Dec 2015-Jun 2016
- Google Analytics Individual Qualification (GAIQ), Google. April 2016